Monday 15 October 2012

The Reality of the Situation Is... Pt. 3


6.
            “You can talk?” I looked at Sam in complete astonishment.
            “Don’t over think this, you’d have figured it out sooner or later.” Sam walked over to the desk.
            “But you don’t have any of the required anatomical stuff,” I must admit not my most poetic term, “to produce speech!”
            Sam jumped up to the desk; he circled around the desk’s top a couple of times and sat sphinx-like on the top of the desk. “Don’t over think it, some things just have to be accepted for the time being, trust me, I’m not the weirdest part of this whole thing.” He licked his paw and rubbed his face, “now how much do I have to tell you and how much do you know?”
            This is where I will take out the dialogue. I wish to retain some form of dignity, so I will tell you the general story which Sam put in front of me without him looking at me like the stupid meatsack with eyes he believed me to be. As it turns out, Sam is of royal blood. He was part of a long line of litters that reached all the way back to the cats that the Egyptian Pharaohs owned and worshipped. As he went on, he began to throw out terms that I could barely understand, but with the terms were so ambiguous that I couldn’t imagine: the Dark – some form of “otherworld” he would speak about with a horrible respect, the Ones – which must be a mistranslation since there was no closer word, and the Wall – something that separates us from these mad beasts which I assume can only try to eat my soul if I lose my ball on their lawn.
            He began speaking about how Jessica – the girl who had been killed, he seemed resolute about this and not a suicide since his brother, that other cat – had stuck her nose too far into the disappearances. I had heard of these, but nothing had been come out of the police looking into it. People would enter subways and mass transit systems, but they wouldn’t come out. Many people had used these systems to leave and she had looked into journalists that had been doing research, but then paid for the silence. That’s why Sam was here, he was to look after me not getting involved.
            “What makes me so special?” I asked, “I’m just a guy that looks for work.”
            “Well,” Sam said slowly, “you aren’t exactly the smartest person in the world. You don’t know when to stop. We had to make sure that you wouldn’t become involved with these disappearances. This is the only way we can rebuild the treaty.”
            “I don’t do anything that any other journalist and part time detective wouldn’t do!” I was hugely offended, my ethics and practices were under danger here.
            “Remember when you had a case that was looking for a lost dog and somehow got the Mayor impeached?” Sam looked at me accusingly.
            “How was I supposed to know he was part of a zoophilic ring?!”
            “That mayor was also that last person that was holding the Wall strong without the cost of what it is now. Since he has left,” Sam was becoming irate and raising his small voice to fill the room, “the Wall has become gapped and there could be danger of the unmentionables to be able to sneak through. That man that was following Jessica, the one that wanted to kill me, is one of them. You should be terribly afraid of him.”
            I looked and sneered at Sam, the small sphinx in my giant’s world, “why should I be?”
            “Remember Ghostbusters? He is Rick Moranis!”
7.
            “Alright, this is just getting absurd.” I swear to whatever is holy in this world, Sam had a look of total disbelief on his face.
            “You’ve spent the last three hours, talking to a cat about a magic world that has the sole want to enslave all of humanity,” Sam’s eyes became slits, “and me comparing someone to Rick Moranis is absurd?”
            Of everything that could possibly happen, I realized that Sam – a fucking cat – began to judge me. He thought I was stupid.
            “Look, I wouldn’t mind being told what any of this means. I’m being told my entire life can be killed by my taking part in this case. I don’t know whether I am going to become a sacrifice to some people that sound like from Lovecraft or become a cockroach!” I looked at Sam in the early morning light as he looked back at me, his feline face was highlighted by the rays of a rising Sun.
            “Unfortunately,” Sam tried to smile, “both of those things might become to pass. The Wall is currently being powered by blood sacrifice, but we have to figure out a way to get around that. Especially as the unmentionables are out, that lady though,” Sam shuddered, “is the dangerous one.”
            I thought about her otherworldly face, the cheek bones that weren’t right and the robotic way she spoke to me, how pristine she walked around.
            I looked at Sam and the hair rose on the back of my neck, “Why her? What does she have to do with it? Is she the Dark Incarnate or something?”
            “No, I’m the Zuul of Ghostbusters.”

No comments:

Post a Comment