Sunday 7 October 2012

The Reality of the Situation Is... Pt. 2


4.
The USB slid into the port well. My computer started to slowly register the new device that was hooked up. A small window popped up filled with document and image files. Colourful pixels filled the small window before I started to copy and sort the files to my laptop’s memory.
            The light cast over the small and desolate office I called home. I called out for Sam as I reached for my can of tuna. He wouldn’t come and I called out again. I breathed out and went back to the computer.
            Pictures began to cycle on the screen. Each picture on the USB drive had been copied and the document copies were spread out on the drive’s other folders. Each document was either a receipt or a journal article that had been coloured in a multitude of hues. I went back to the pictures.
            The passed girl was in each picture. A revolving door of people with the girl came into focus on my computer screen. As I cycled through the pictures again, there was another person that was common. A man in a hat and overcoat in the back of the pictures at first, but as the pictures went on with the dates on the file the man began to look more openly and maliciously at the girl.
            I couldn’t tell if he was a Photoshop or not. The man began to stare at the girl openly, and what appeared to be off-coloured eyes stared at her. The eyes weren’t normal; the almond eyes weren’t a normal colour. They were purple. I shrugged and breathed deeply, the damn contact lenses.
            I got up and unplugged the USB drive. I needed to see Jason.
5.
Jason had his large frame crafted by oceans of soda stuffed into the spinning captain’s chair. The mountains of flesh which greeted me were dimly lit by his four monitors. His face was curtained by black straight drapes around his face.
            “Alright, Kev,” Jason wheezed, “let me see what you’ve got.”
            I handed him the drive. The stubby fingers took the drive from my hand and inserted it smoothly into the computer. As he did so, a small breath was let out from his direction.
            “There’s a guy on these pictures. I want to see if any of the pictures have been tampered with and get print outs of the originals.” I sat back and watched Jason’s fingers fly over the keyboard. The pictures began to run through the program as the printers pushed out pictures and documents.
            Enough paper to republish War and Peace stood on the printer. Colours dashed along the paper were dim in the monitor.
            “All the pictures are printed out as they were before any tampering. If you want to see them now, they’re on the monitors,” Jason said as he turned to me. I grabbed the paper and went to the monitors. The girl was there, the revolving cast of people – the man. He was still there. Same coloured eyes.
            “The girl is sexy.”
            “What?” I broke my eye contact with the man and looked at Jason.
            “The girl, she’s hot. Are you following her?”
            I looked at him. “No, I’m investigating her death. She might be sexy now, but she may turn into Bloody Mary overnight, look out. Is this guy,” I pointed to the guy in the back, making sure my finger wasn’t touching the screen. Jason hated that, “real or a fake?”
            “The guy that has a total Akhenaten thing going on? If he’s fake he’s a cut out and not an implant into the picture.”
            “Go back to that first part? Akhenaten?” I looked at him quizzically.
            “Akhenaten, look, he’s a weird looking pharaoh from ancient Egypt.” He pulled up a picture of a statue of Akhenaten. They shared many similarities, a lack of shoulders, a long, elongated face, the almond eyes and what looked like a serpentine figure.
            “Well done, Jason. I’ll be back tomorrow or something, I got to look through this stuff,” I shuffled the papers, “see you, bud.”
            I got up and started to walk out, as Jason said, “Hey, I’ll send you some links of this guy. You may want to read some of the hilarious shit people say about him.”
            His voice died as I walked out. I was looking at the paper as I walking down the street back to my office. The receipts were colour coded to journalists, many of whom worked for large syndicates are in the list. Colours that listed as edits, changes and complete deletion, but payment for the article was listed with separate hues for each.
            I looked up and saw that I had arrived to my apartment and walked up to my office. I was looking at my papers to read as I opened up to a truly astonishing scene.
            Allow me to say this about myself: I don’t get scared very easily. In fact, I don’t normally get scared by anything that should probably scare me. Suspense movies, thrillers and horrors have all come and gone without my notice and I leave without caring about being scared. I say this so you may understand that when I saw the man from the picture, purple eyes and all, holding a knife to my cat’s throat, I screamed. I didn’t know what else to do.
            He looked at me and went out the opened window and I realized that I had continued to scream.
            Sam looked at me, feline eyes and all, and said, “Thank the gods you’re home.”

No comments:

Post a Comment